Science Summit at the United Nations General Assembly 78
ISC Intelligence organises the annual Science Summit at the United Nations in General Assembly. The next edition of the Summit will take place from the 12th to 29 September 2023 during the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA78). Details, including the call for session proposals, are available here.
In preparation for the Summit in 2023, ISC will be working with the U.N.’s SDG Technology Facilitation Mechanism and the office of the UN Tech Envoy.
- UN Technology Facilitation Mechanism: this mechanism is included in the original SDG manifesto from 2015. This has four components:
- the United Nations inter-agency task force on STI for the SDGs;
- the ten-member group to support the TFM
- the multi-stakeholder Forum on STI for the SDGs, which this year takes place in May
- the online platform.
- The United Nations Global Digital Compact is led by the United Nations Secretary-General’s Technology Envoy, Amandeep Gill. We will develop with a range of partners a Science Chapter for inclusion in the the Global Digital Compact.
The eighth annual Multi-Stakeholder Forum on Science, Technology and Innovation for the SDGs (STI Forum) will be held from 3 to 4 May 2023. The Forum will be convened by the President of ECOSOC Her Excellency Lachezara Stoeva who has appointed two co-chairs – H.E. Ms. Mathu Joyini, Ambassador and Permanent Representative of South Africa to the United Nations and H.E. Mr. Thomas Woodroffe, United Kingdom Ambassador to the UN Economic and Social Council. As per its mandate, the Forum will be organized by the UN interagency task team on STI for the SDGs (IATT), convened by the UN Department of. Economic and Social Affairs (DESA) and the United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD), and the 10-Member Group of high-level representatives appointed by the Secretary-General.
In line with recent mandates and as in previous years, the STI Forum will facilitate discussions on science, technology and innovation cooperation in support of the SDGs. In addition to providing the mandated inputs for the High-Level Political Forum on Sustainable Development to be held from 10 to 19 July 2023, the Forum will also take a broader look at the contribution of STI to the achievement of all the SDGs in recognition of the September mid-term review of SDG progress.